What are we going to do?
Our tours are thought to give you a learning and entertaining experience. The guides are expert biologists who are going to tell you the ecological and behavioral characteristics and the conservation issues of the whales, answering your questions and creating a comfortable ambient for you to learn and have fun. With this, the tour is going to become an unforgettable experience.
We’ll meet up at “la ESSO”, the boarding place in Bahía Solano, at 8:00 am, where we’ll give you a short introductory speech to go then looking for the giant animals. For about three hours we’ll look for, watch and talk about the whales. As the ocean is full of surprises, we might also find other animals, such as dolphins, turtles and sea birds. During the tour, we’ll be taking research data while we tell you about what we are doing for the Colombian whales. On top of that, you’ll be able to listen to the live concert of whales: to many, one of the most beautiful symphonies on the earth.
Once this part is completed, we’ll navigate to Mecana beach, located 20 minutes from the city of Bahía Solano by boat. There, you will enjoy a place with a beautiful beach, an awesome river and a high diversity of animals and plants, including the mangroves, several species of birds, fishes, small alligators and even some river otters (if we are lucky enough to see them). Also, you will share with the people of the local community, who will receive you in their house to give you lunch. If the tide allows us, part of the moment will be dedicated to do a short tour through the mangroves, a highly-threatened ecosystem with a big diversity of plants and animals. Around 3:00 pm we’ll head back to the starting point where the tour ends.
For security and logistic issues, the duration and schedule of the tour may change depending on the climate and tide state. Before having a good time and learning, the most important thing to us is your safety.
Dates in which we offer the service:
Between July 1st and October 15th.
What does the tour include?
- Boat transportation.
- Biologist guide.
- Speech in Spanish and/or English.
- Native captain.
- On-board hydrophone (to listen to the whales live).
- Visit to Mecana beach.
- Short mangrove tour.
- On-board snack.
- Luggage keeping during the tour at the boarding place.
What isn’t included on the tour cost?
- Extra food or drinks (available at Mecana beach, offered by the locals).
- Land transport to la ESSO boarding place.
Note: If you are vegetarian or suffer from any allergy, let us know before reserving the tour so we can cook you a proper lunch.
What do you need to take with you?
- Hat or cap.
- Comfortable clothes.
- Bathing suit.
- Dry bags for your electronic devices.
- Shoes that can get wet. Flip-flops are good but not recommendable now that they can easily break walking on the mud.
- A good attitude to learn and have fun!
Note: If you tend to easily get dizzy we recommend you take proper pills before the tour. Also, you may be prepared to get wet as soon as you board the boat.
- As we are going into nature, there’s some events we cannot control and that are unpredictable, such as the encounter with the animals. The probability to find whales during the stablished dates is 99%, nevertheless, there might be a very small probability not to find them. If that’s the case, we won’t be able to give the money back.
- If the weather conditions before boarding are not good, the tour will be cancelled and your reservations will have priority for the following days. If you can’t go to the tour in other dates, we’ll give you back the money.
- The risks during the tour are very few, nevertheless, there are some conditions that may be delicate for certain people, for example, the hits of the boat and the overexpose to the sun for pregnant women, seniors or people with some disabilities.
- We don’t recommend you take children younger than 4 years old, but the parents can judge if it is proper.
- Women with a gestation period of 6 month or more can’t go to the tour.
- Women with less than 6 months of pregnancy, seniors or people with disabilities must inform their condition before doing the reservation to pay special attention to them and take the necessary precautions.
- It is forbidden to assist the tour under the influence of liquor or drugs.